Sunday, October 13, 2013

Autumn memories

Autumn has got to be, hands down, my favorite time of the year. 

One of my earliest autumn memories is watching my brother and sister raking the leaves in our yard into these giant piles. Then I can recall that silly feeling as if it were yesterday .... taking that running jump straight into a giant pile of fresh raked leaves. Leaves everywhere, dust, dirt... was all worth that one jump into the pile. Who cares if you had to rake them again... so exhilarating. 

Another autumn memory for me is the pink sweater. For those that know me, they knew that when the pink sweater made an appearance, it was officially autumn. The fresh smell of coldness in the air. Wearing layers of clothes as opposed to a jacket. The pink sweater provided warmth yet so fashionable in a sea of orange, yellow, brown, and gold. I wore it for years until I had to finally retire my old friend. 

My first weekend getaway with Kevin was in autumn, with some friends for Oktoberfest in the mountains. Yes, the pink sweater was there. That was a weekend to remember for sure. Dancing to polka music, drinking German beer, laughing until our faces hurt, and enjoying the company of our friends. Good times indeed. 

This autumn was the first year in three years where thankfully no one has reminded me of you know what.  I'm guessing we've all reached our new normal. We are "living" post transplant as opposed to just living post transplant. Are you following me? We've come to some sort of acceptance, possibly all moved forward. It's also quite possible that everyone remembered but finally respected the fact that I prefer to remember the good about my favorite time of the year. 

For my kids, I'm hoping their earliest memory of autumn is when Daddy proved the family motto true......that we don't give up. He never gave up and we never gave up on him. Where there is a will, there is a way. I'm hoping when they're in their twenty's they recall all of our friends and family that stepped up to the plate with us, encouraged us when we struck out, and stood next to us cheering on their father when he hit the grand slam we were all waiting on. That our friends and family are the "rise to the occasion" type of people. 

For me, my newest memory of autumn is one that I will never forget. It's a story I enjoy telling over and over again. I get goosebumps just thinking about the events of that particular day. In a few days it will be exactly three years when I looked into Kevin's eyes and fell in love with him all over again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment