Friday, August 24, 2012

The 5th Quarter

So I finally watched the film "The 5th Quarter" last night. It's been on my list of movies to watch. It's based on a true and very inspirational story that, yes, has to do with organ donation. I had no idea it was from the donor family perspective though.

I have to admit I think I really needed to see this movie. The movie was only about ten minutes in when I found myself in tears.  I won't go into detail but a tragic accident happens. And when the family was approached about donating their sons organs, the reaction was a negative one...you're not going to rip my son apart, how rude, no way......you, the viewer of this film, can only imagine what this family was going through. But in time, the mother recalls a conversation with her son when they were at the DMV getting his drivers permit. The little box regarding organ donation was staring her son in the face, he asked what it meant and the mother explained and then the decision was his to make. In the end the son, Luke, said "yes" to donating life. And with that, the family decides to donate their sons organs because it's what he decided....... and automatically that decision saved the lives (and the families attached to them) of five different people.

The movie goes on and yes I was in tears watching it because I could only imagine what our donor family experienced. The circumstances. Was it tragic? Was it sudden? Was the decision to donate life their decision to make or had their loved one already checked off "yes" to donate life. It's mind boggling and from time to time I struggle with this need to know, the want to know who our donor family is....the chance to say thank you in person.... and then there are times when I don't want to know because it truly scares me. I wonder if our donor family feels the same way?

The movie, again based on a true story, is a positive message about organ donation as well as the struggles and challenges this donor family had to overcome by losing a loved one. It shows in the end they were triumphant. Their loved ones spirit lives on not only within them but within the five people they saved by donating life. 

The Abbate Family, who "The 5th Quarter" story is about, has since started The Luke Abbate 5th Quarter Foundation. It's sole purpose is to raise awareness among teenagers & parents about the life and death consequences of teenage driving AND to raise awareness among teenagers & parents about the life saving gift of organ donation. http://www.Lukeabbate5thquarter.org/

Hopefully this post will reach someone in the younger generation, maybe they'll watch the movie, and they'll decide to check "yes" to organ donation. Maybe they already know my little family of four and are already a registered organ donor? I don't know. The point is to help spread awareness about donate life to get more registered organ donors. 20 million in 2012. Register today if you haven't already.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow Tracey - I have no doubt how your mind tangles around so many thoughts. You and your family are such an inspiration to many!!! I might also add that checking that box is so critical because not enough do it! There are not enough donors for those in need. It sometimes can take years to receive an organ and in a lot of cases because there are not enough donors, the one in need never receives one and loses their chance at a new life. This is critical!!! Thank you for continuing your blog and making so many aware of your family experience and how an unknown donor changed the course of your life! Love you kiddo! You're amazing! XOXO Gail

    ReplyDelete