Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving thanks....

Embrace life.

This time of year everyone remembers all that they are grateful for...their friends, their family, their health, their job, food on the table, well...you know where I'm going with this. Giving thanks, being thankful, showing gratitude. 

Living post transplant for sure has given my little family of four a different perspective on life. Our little guys have said numerous times that they're thankful for "daddy's new heart." Ya know last year at this time they were thankful "to have daddy home with us." Amazing how much can happen in one year. 

Celebrate life.

In the fall of 1982 the movie E.T. was released in theaters. It was also fall of 1982 that my dear grandmother passed. The only grandmother I  knew because the other had passed years before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes. I always remember her during my days here  and there... she's also one of the people that I would talk to during this past year. Her ears must be killing her. You're reading this hopefully not thinking I've lost my mind. When this entire journey started I had what I now refer to as my "band of dead relatives" that I would talk to. I'd beg them to please turn off whatever light was on so Kevin would turn around, walk back and wake up. Begged them to get off of whatever cloud they were floating on and  to go watch over Kevin every time he was in the OR. You all know how our story ends ... he did wake up and they looked over him during every surgery.  I'm so completely thankful for them.

Live each day to its fullest. Tomorrow is never a guarantee. Be thankful for what you have.

In no particular order, I'd like to share what I'm thankful for this year:

Our boys, aka my little monkeys.
Kevin. His love. His beating heart. The fighter & lover I know. 
Our families.
Our SoCal family.
The air that I breathe.
Coffee. 
The roof over my head that no longer leaks.
Smiles. Hugs.
ichat.
My job.
A little family on Facebook called LVAD Friends.
Steel Magnolias.
The doctors & nurses at Cedars Sinai Medical Center.
LAFD engine 72.
Everyone that works behind the scenes at Cedars Sinai Medical Center.
My band of dead relatives, SMART.
"Our horses that vomit blood."
Unexpected telephone calls that brighten my day.
Our friends, both near & far.
MU.
A healthy family.
My parents & Kevin's parents. Thankful that our boys get to know them the way we know them.
The teachers & Director of our boys preschool.

Thanksgiving. Thankful that as this holiday is approaching I'm finding me again. The me that enjoys cooking. Everything on our table this year will be like years past, made from scratch and made with love.

Our donor family. Whoever you are, wherever you are. Thank you for giving my husband a second chance at life. I am forever grateful. 

In closing I would just like to say....I'm thankful for every morning that my little family of four wakes up under the same roof.

"Learn from yesterday. Live for today. Hope for tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment